Vacancies at the BSR
The BSR is seeking to appoint a Head of Research Collections who will have overall responsibility for the BSR’s Library and Archive. The Library (including its Special Collections) and Archive are fundamental to the BSR’s Research Strategy, are at the core of numerous research projects and collaborations, and are enhanced through the Digital Collections website, on-site and virtual exhibitions and numerous publications. The Library and Archive also provide the resources and services necessary to support all research conducted at the BSR by resident and non-resident scholars in Rome.
The Head of Research Collections will have responsibility for all aspects of the operation, management and development of the BSR’s research collections and the Library and Archive. The successful candidate will join the BSR’s Senior Management Team and be responsible for line-managing the library and archive team (currently 4 people), reporting to the BSR’s Director. They will contribute to the development of the BSR’s collections-based research strategy, helping to foster a dynamic, interdisciplinary research culture with BSR collections at its centre.
A full job description can be found here.
The role will include the following responsibilities:
· Leading, managing and developing the Library and Archive team;
· Curating, developing and enhancing existing BSR collections, both materially and on line;
· Overseeing the development of a robust and ambitious research programme that enhances the role of research collections in relation to the BSR’s Research Strategy;
· Establishing strong relationships with funding bodies and other organisations in the UK, Italy and beyond to identify and maximise grant opportunities and attract external funding for collections-based projects;
· Collaborating with the BSR Chair of Publications to agree a strategy for publications resulting from collections-based research;
· Engaging with development activities to promote and enhance funding opportunities for the BSR’s research collections;
· Managing the Library and Archive budgets, with support from the BSR Finance Manager;
· Delivering high quality services for BSR Award Holders, residents and non-resident scholars;
· Managing and enhancing Digital Humanities activities around the BSR’s research collections;
· Actively contributing to the URBiS consortium of Roman research libraries;
· Regular reporting to the BSR Council on Research Collections strategy and management, including the Library and Archive, in collaboration with the Director.
The post-holder will have the following attributes:
· High level of academic qualifications (ideally a post-graduate qualification), with a demonstrable record of scholarly achievement in a relevant field;
· Significant experience of working in the Libraries and Archive sector;
· Knowledge of scholarly funding processes and grant giving organisations, both in the United Kingdom and internationally;
· A clear vision for strategy development around research collections;
· A clear vision of the role of digital humanities in a research collections strategy;
· Strong IT skills and familiarity with the use of databases, open access and e-resources;
· Leadership skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate people;
· Excellent communication skills in both Italian and English, both oral and written.
This is a full-time post (40 hours per week), based at the BSR, via A. Gramsci 61, 00197 Rome. Starting salary from €45,000 according to experience.
Applications — which should include a letter of application (no more than two pages) outlining the applicant’s reasons for applying; a curriculum vitae with relevant qualifications and job experience, plus language skills; and the names, addresses and email addresses of two academic and/or library referees— should be sent as Word documents or pdfs to HRManager@bsrome.it.
Closing date for applications: 18 November 2021. Interviews will be held in December 2021, in Rome if possible with the option of attending by zoom.