Interamna Lirenas, Lazio
September 2010 -2012
The work was carried out from 2010 to 2012 at the request of Dott. Alessandro Launaro, in collaboration with Prof Martin Millett, of the University of Cambridge as part of his current research project on Interamna Lirenas as part of the Roman Colonial Landscapes project at the University of Cambridge. The project is one of the Associated Projects of the BSR.
Interamna Lirenas is located in central Italy, around three quarters of a kilometer north of the River Liri and just under three kilometres south west of the modern town of Pignataro Interamna. It lies on a low ridge between two streams leading down to the River Liri, in the valley between the Mainarde range to the north and the Monti Aurunci to the south (Patterson 2006: 101). The via Latina originally ran through the site and still defines a modern field boundary.
Interamna Lirenas has been referred to as a Latin colony (Salmon 1955: 67), and has received limited archaeological attention. Whilst a degree of information about the town can be derived from literary sources regarding its foundation in 312 BC and its involvement in the second Samnite war we still have a relatively limited understanding of the character of the settlement itself.
The magnetometer survey covers the entire site (about 25Ha) and with each season much was added to our understanding of the layout of the Roman colony. The forum is visible in the central section of the results and evidence of a theatre flanks its western edge. The traces of other structures across the entire survey area are clear and define the urban landscape.