The BSR’s history dates from 1901, when it was founded as a ‘school’ for research in archaeology and Italian studies.
‘Every period of the language and literature, antiquities, art and history of Rome and Italy shall be considered as coming within the province of the [BSR]’.
It occupies an elevated site in the Valle Giulia on the site of the 1911 British Pavilion. The Pavilion was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and then adapted by him to become the home of the British School at Rome. A major project of renovations and new buildings was completed in February 2004.
Financial support comes from:
- the British government through the British Academy
- activity-specific sponsorship
- ongoing private support from donors
The majority of the staff are based in Rome but a small London office is also maintained at the British Academy.