Many congratulations to Laure Prouvost (Max Mara Resident Fine Arts 2011-12) on winning the Turner Prize! Click on the links below to read the press reviews: BBC / The Guardian [...]
Welcome to the British School at Rome, Britain’s leading humanities research institute abroad and one of the most prestigious foreign academies in Rome.
The British School at Rome is a centre of interdisciplinary research excellence in the Mediterranean supporting the full range of arts, humanities and social sciences. We create an environment for work of international standing and impact from Britain and the Commonwealth, and a bridge into the intellectual and cultural heart of Rome and Italy.
Our mission for over a century has been
“to promote knowledge of and deep engagement with all aspects of the art, history and culture of Italy by scholars and fine artists from Britain and the Commonwealth, and to foster international and interdisciplinary exchange.”
We do this through:
- highly selective residential awards for the very best scholars, artists and architects
- research-friendly facilities including accommodation in Rome which are dedicated to helping scholars and artists to maximise their time in Italy
- lectures, exhibitions and conferences by leading practitioners across the humanities, visual arts, architecture and archaeology
- dedicated archaeological services to support fieldwork projects
- a world-class research library and access to other research libraries in Rome
- an internationally recognised peer-reviewed journal and monograph series
- intensive specialist taught courses for students
All who come to the British School at Rome (the BSR as its friends call it) find themselves transformed by the extraordinary level of exchange between disciplines, and many go on to the highest levels of professional achievement and recognition.
We celebrate here these achievements, and welcome you to begin to explore what the BSR does and has to offer, and how you can be a part of a very special place.
Director of the BSR